Accident Airbus A330-302 N806NW, Wednesday 18 April 2018
ASN logo

Date:Wednesday 18 April 2018
Type:Silhouette image of generic A333 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Airbus A330-302
Owner/operator:Delta Air Lines
Registration: N806NW
MSN: 578
Year of manufacture:2004
Total airframe hrs:64598 hours
Engine model:Pratt & Whitney PW4168A
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 288
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Substantial, repaired
Location:Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, GA (ATL/KATL) -   United States of America
Phase: En route
Nature:Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:Atlanta-William B. Hartsfield International Airport, GA (ATL/KATL)
Destination airport:London-Heathrow Airport (LHR/EGLL)
Investigating agency: NTSB
Confidence Rating: Accident investigation report completed and information captured
Delta Air Lines flight 30, an Airbus A330-300, experienced a no. 2 engine fire during initial climb from Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, Georgia, USA.
The aircraft, an Airbus A330-323, had taken off from runway 26L at en route to London, U.K. The flight crew reported a no. 2 engine fire electronic centralized aircraft monitor (ECAM) indication at about 500 feet AGL, declared an emergency, shutdown the no. 2 engine, discharged both fire bottles, and initiated an air turn back to the departure airport. During the return the fire warning indication cleared, and the airplane made an uneventful overweight single engine landing on runway 27R at 18:34.
After landing, airport rescue and firefighting (ARFF) crews met the airplane on the runway and observed smoke and flames emanating from the no. 2 engine. ARFF sprayed the engine with fire retardant foam and extinguished the fire. The airplane was towed to the gate and the passengers disembarked. There were no injuries to the passengers or crew and the airplane sustained substantial damage.

Probable Cause: The flight crew’s delayed landing after an in-flight engine fire, which reignited after both fire bottles were discharged and resulted in substantial damage to an engine pylon. Contributing to the delayed landing was likely the flight crew’s perception that the fire had been extinguished due to the disappearance of the primary engine fire warning indications after the fire detection loops were damaged and that a landing as soon as possible was not perceived to be necessary.
Contributing to the duration of the fire was the contamination of an engine fire isolation system component which resulted in hydraulic fluid leaking into the designated engine fire zone after the engine was shutdown and the fire button was pressed.

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: NTSB
Report number: DCA18LA163
Status: Investigation completed
Duration: 4 years
Download report: Final report




Revision history:


The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314