Accident Saab 340B C6-SBJ, Thursday 13 June 2013
ASN logo

Date:Thursday 13 June 2013
Type:Silhouette image of generic SF34 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Saab 340B
Owner/operator:SkyBahamas Airlines
Registration: C6-SBJ
MSN: 340B-316
Year of manufacture:1992
Total airframe hrs:49097 hours
Engine model:General Electric CT7-9B
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 24
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Substantial, written off
Location:Marsh Harbour International Airport (MHH) -   Bahamas
Phase: Landing
Nature:Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:Fort Lauderdale International Airport, FL (FLL/KFLL)
Destination airport:Marsh Harbour International Airport (MHH/MYAM)
Investigating agency: AAID Bahamas
Confidence Rating: Accident investigation report completed and information captured
SkyBahamas Airlines flight Q7-9561, a Saab 340B, sustained substantial damage in a landing accident at Marsh Harbour International Airport (MHH), Bahamas.
The flight crew received weather information and IFR route clearance from the controller at Fort Lauderdale International Airport, Florida, USA. Departure time was 13:06 hours local time. From the cockpit voice recorder it was evident that the flight crew failed to brief or discuss the weather for departure or enroute. Additionally, they failed to complete several important checklists as required and did not observe sterile cockpit procedures during startup, run-up, taxi and takeoff.
The enroute and approach checklists were not conducted prior to arriving near their destination of Marsh Harbour Airport, Bahamas. The crew was aware of the weather conditions at Marsh Harbor, which included heavy rainshowers; however, they never formulated a plan for diversion if the weather was bad at their time of arrival.
As the approach continued there were constant disagreements between both pilots as to who had the runway in sight. Due to the weather conditions, visibility of the runway was intermittent, yet the crew continued descending visually in an attempt to land the aircraft on a runway that was not in sight and not served by an instrument landing system (ILS).
The crew flew a non-stabilized approach and speed was not constant as they kept increasing and decreasing speed throughout the final approach. The captain, who initially was the non-flying pilot, while on final approach and below 500 feet AGL, assumed control of the aircraft from the flying pilot (first officer). At some point the captain lost use of his windshield wiper as it went over-center and was stuck. During the final moments of the approach. The copilot again assumed control of the aircraft and seconds before touch down, the captain (despite having no visual contact with the runway due to the intense downpour of rain and the non-use of his windshield wiper), again took control of the aircraft from the first officer.
By the time the aircraft touched the runway, there were several control wheel exchanges between both pilots while neither had a visual of the runway.
The aircraft initially touched down at 17:49:02 with a recorded vertical load factor of +2.16G, approximately 14 seconds after crossing the threshold of runway 09. Upon initial landing however, the aircraft bounced and became airborne, reaching a calculated maximum height of approximately 15 feet AGL.
The aircraft bounced a second time at 17:49:07 with a recorded vertical load factor of +3.19G. During this second bounce, the pitch attitude was 1.8 degrees nose down, heading 102 degrees magnetic and airspeed 106 KIAS.
The aircraft made consecutive contact with the runway approximately three times. The third and final bounce occurred at 17:49:14 with a recorded vertical load factor of +3.66G. During the third bounce, the pitch attitude was 2.2 degrees nose down, heading 099 degrees magnetic and airspeed 98 KIAS.
As a result of the hard touchdown, damage was sustained to the right wing and right hand engine/propeller. The right hand engine parameters recorded a rapid loss of power with decreasing engine speed and torque, and subsequent propeller stoppage. The aircraft veered off to the right at approximate time of 17:49:20 on a heading of 131 degrees magnetic at a point approximately 6,044 feet from the threshold of runway 09.
The recorded airspeed was 44 KIAS with the left hand engine torque at 26 % and the right hand engine torque at 0%. The aircraft came to a full stop at approximate time 17:49:25 on a heading of 231 degrees magnetic. When the aircraft came to a stop, the flight and cabin crew and 21 passengers evacuated the aircraft. The evacuation was uneventful using the main entrance door.

- Inexperienced and undisciplined crew.
- Lack of crew resource management training.
- Failure to follow company standard operating procedures.
- Condition known as "get-home-itis" where attempt is made to continue a flight at any cost, even if it means putting aircraft and persons at risk in order to do so.
- Failure to retrieve, observe and respect weather conditions.
- Thunderstorms at the airfield.

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAID Bahamas
Report number: A13-02444
Status: Investigation completed
Duration: 3 years and 10 months
Download report: Final report




photo (c) via Werner Fischdick; Fort Lauderdale International Airport, FL (FLL/KFLL); March 2013

photo (c) Timo Blossfeld; Anchorage-Ted Stevens International Airport, AK (ANC/PANC); 02 June 2007

Revision history:


The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314