Accident Hawker Beechcraft 390 Premier IA N26DK, Sunday 17 March 2013
ASN logo

Date:Sunday 17 March 2013
Type:Silhouette image of generic PRM1 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Hawker Beechcraft 390 Premier IA
Owner/operator:Digicut Systems
Registration: N26DK
MSN: RB-226
Year of manufacture:2008
Total airframe hrs:457 hours
Engine model:Williams International FJ44-2A
Fatalities:Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 4
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Destroyed, written off
Location:1 km S of South Bend Regional, IN (SBN) -   United States of America
Phase: Initial climb
Departure airport:Tulsa-Richard Lloyd Jones Jr. Airport, OK (RVS/KRVS)
Destination airport:South Bend Regional, IN (SBN/KSBN)
Investigating agency: NTSB
Confidence Rating: Accident investigation report completed and information captured
A Hawker Beechcraft 390 Premier IA corporate jet, registered N26DK, sustained substantial damage in an accident at South Bend, IN. Two of the four persons on board were killed.
Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the business flight that departed Tulsa-Richard Lloyd Jones Jr. Airport, OK (RVS), at 13:58 CDT.
According to preliminary air traffic control information, at 16:10, the accident pilot established radio communications with South Bend Approach Control while at 11,000 feet mean sea level (msl). The air traffic controller cleared the flight direct to KNUTE intersection and told the pilot to expect a visual approach to runway 9R. At 16:11, the flight was cleared to descend to 10,000 feet msl. At 16:13, the flight was cleared to 3,000 feet msl. At 16:15, the approach controller told the pilot to make a 5-degree left turn to align with runway 9R and asked the pilot to report when he had the airport in sight. At 16:15:07, the pilot declared an emergency because of a lack of engine power, reporting that they were "dead stick" and without any power. About 23 seconds later, at 16:15:30, the pilot transmitted "we've lost all power, and we have no hydraulics." When the controller asked if the airplane remained controllable, the pilot replied "ah, barely controllable." The controller advised that all runways at South Bend were available for landing and issued the current winds, which were 130-degrees at 10 knots. At 16:15:22, the pilot transmitted that the airplane’s navigational systems were inoperative and requested a radar vector toward the airport. The controller replied that the airport was 9 miles directly ahead of the airplane's current position. At 16:16:12, the controller told the pilot to turn 10-degrees left to intersect runway 9R. At 16:16:15, the pilot replied "26DK, turning left." No additional voice communications were received from the accident airplane. The approach controller continued to transmit radar vectors toward runway 9R without any response from the accident pilot. At 16:18:58, the approach controller told the accident airplane to go-around because the main landing gear was not extended. (The tower controller had informed the approach controller that only the nose landing gear was extended) The accident airplane was then observed to climb and enter a right traffic pattern for runway 9R. The airplane made another landing approach to runway 9R with only the nose landing gear extended. Several witnesses observed the airplane bounce several times on the runway before it ultimately entered a climbing right turn. The airplane was then observed to enter a nose low descent into a nearby residential community.
The airplane came down in a street, crashing into a house near the 1600 block of N. Iowa Street, South Bend. The accident location is approx 1000 metres south of the end of runway 09R.

Factual information released by the NTSB suggest that the pilot-rated passenger was allowed to fly the descent under supervision of the captain. The pilot-rated passenger had accumulated 1,576 hours in multi-engine airplanes and 301 hours in single-engine airplanes. He had no experience in turbine-powered business jets. During the descent the captain instructed the passenger to "just pull the power out" in order to slow the airplane down. Apparently the passenger lifted the pull-up locks on the throttles and retarded the throttles beyond flight idle, into the fuel cut-off position. The pilot told the pilot-rated-passenger "you went back behind the stops and we lost power." During the approach the pilot was able to restart engine number 1.

PROBABLE CAUSE: "The private pilot's inadequate response to the dual engine shutdown during cruise descent, including his failure to adhere to procedures, which ultimately resulted in his failure to maintain airplane control during a single-engine go-around. An additional cause was the pilot's decision to allow the unqualified pilot-rated passenger to manipulate the airplane controls, which directly resulted in the inadvertent dual engine shutdown."

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: NTSB
Report number: CEN13FA196
Status: Investigation completed
Duration: 3 years
Download report: Final report




photo (c) Mark Parren; near South Bend Regional, IN (SBN); 17 March 2013

photo (c) NTSB; near South Bend Regional, IN (SBN); 18 March 2013

photo (c) NTSB; near South Bend Regional, IN (SBN); 18 March 2013

photo (c) NTSB; near South Bend Regional, IN (SBN); 18 March 2013

photo (c) NTSB; near South Bend Regional, IN (SBN); 18 March 2013

photo (c) Walt Barkley; La Verne-Brackett Field, CA (POC/); 04 May 2012

Revision history:


The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314