Accident McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30 PK-GIE, Thursday 13 June 1996
ASN logo

Date:Thursday 13 June 1996
Type:Silhouette image of generic DC10 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30
Owner/operator:Garuda Indonesia Airways
Registration: PK-GIE
MSN: 46685/284
Year of manufacture:1979
Total airframe hrs:46325 hours
Engine model:General Electric CF6-50C
Fatalities:Fatalities: 3 / Occupants: 275
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Destroyed, written off
Location:Fukuoka Airport (FUK) -   Japan
Phase: Take off
Nature:Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:Fukuoka Airport (FUK/RJFF)
Destination airport:Denpasar-Ngurah Rai Bali International Airport (DPS/WADD)
Investigating agency: AAIC
Confidence Rating: Accident investigation report completed and information captured
Flight GA865 was a regular flight from Fukuoka Airport (FUK) to Jakarta with an en-route stop in Denpasar (DPS), Bali. At 11:55 the DC-10 was pushed back from gate 5. The crew reported "Ready for taxi." In reply, Fukuoka Ground instructed the aircraft: "Taxi via E2, contact Tower." The crew taxied to runway 16 and were instructed by the Tower controller to hold short. After waiting for another plane to land, Flight 865 was cleared to taxi into position and hold. At 12:06:53 takeoff clearance was given. The DC-10 accelerated for takeoff. The nose was raised and at a speed of 158 kts the first officer called "Rotate". It was 12:07:40. Three seconds later, at a radio altitude of 9 feet, a fan blade of the 1st stage HP turbine from the no. 3 engine separated. The N1 dropped to 23,7% within a few seconds. At 12:07:45 the flight engineer called "Engine failure number one." Takeoff was aborted at about the V2 speed and the airplane contacted the runway one second later at a vertical acceleration force of 2.1 Gs.
The thrust reversers were deployed and ground spoilers were extended. The DC-10 skidded off the runway through a ditch, fence and a road, before coming to a halt 620 m past the runway threshold.
Investigation revealed that the turbine blade that failed, had operated for 30913 hours and 6182 cycles. General Electric had advised customers to discard blades after about 6000 cycles.

The causes of the accident were as follows: "Although the CAS was well in excess of V1 and the aircraft had already lifted off from the runway, the takeoff was aborted. Consequently the aircraft departed the end of the runway, came to rest and caught fire. It is estimated that contributing to the rejection of the takeoff under this circumstance was the fact that the CAP's judgement in the event of the engine failure was inadequate."

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIC
Report number: AAIC report 97-6
Status: Investigation completed
Duration: 1 year and 5 months
Download report: Final report


ICAO Adrep Summary 4/96 (#35)



photo (c) Yoshihito Tachibana; Fukuoka Airport (FUK); 19 June 1996

photo (c) Yoshihito Tachibana; Fukuoka Airport (FUK); 19 June 1996

photo (c) Yoshihito Tachibana; Fukuoka Airport (FUK); 19 June 1996

photo (c) Yoshihito Tachibana; Fukuoka Airport (FUK); 19 June 1996

photo (c) Yoshihito Tachibana; Fukuoka Airport (FUK); 19 June 1996

photo (c) Yoshihito Tachibana; Fukuoka Airport (FUK); 19 June 1996

photo (c) Werner Fischdick; Hong Kong-Kai Tak International Airport (HKG); 16 October 1995

Revision history:


The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314