Accident Airbus A320-111 F-GFKC, Sunday 26 June 1988
ASN logo

Date:Sunday 26 June 1988
Type:Silhouette image of generic A320 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Airbus A320-111
Owner/operator:Air France, opf Air Charter International
Registration: F-GFKC
MSN: 009
Year of manufacture:1988
Total airframe hrs:22 hours
Cycles:18 flights
Engine model:CFMI CFM56-5A1
Fatalities:Fatalities: 3 / Occupants: 136
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Destroyed, written off
Location:Mulhouse-Habsheim Airport -   France
Phase: Initial climb
Departure airport:Basel/Mulhouse Airport (BSL/LFSB)
Destination airport:Basel/Mulhouse Airport (BSL/LFSB)
Investigating agency: BEA
Confidence Rating: Accident investigation report completed and information captured
A newly delivered Airbus A320, F-GFKC, was destroyed when it impacted trees during a low pass over the runway at Mulhouse-Habsheim Airport, France. A fire broke out, killing three occupants.
The Mulhouse Flying Club had requested Air France to perform a fly by at their air show at Mulhouse-Habsheim Airport on June 26, 1988.
Air France prepared a low speed pass with the gear down at 100 feet and the another pass at high speed in clean configuration. While Air France had performed more than twenty low passes since 1987, the altitude of 100 feet was not allowed according to regulations. French air safety regulations imposed a minimum VFR overflight height of 170 feet.
The fly by was to be performed using an Airbus A320, an aircraft model that was introduced by launching customer Air France in March 1988. F-GFKC was the third A320 in the fleet and had been delivered on June 23.
The flight crew scheduled to perform the demonstration flight were two captains: the head of A320 training subdivision (Pilot Flying) and a captain participating in the placing into service of the A320(Pilot Monitoring).
On board the flight were four cabin crew members and 130 passengers.
The aircraft took off from nearby Basle-Mulhouse Airport at 14:41 and climbed to 1000 feet agl. The crew started the descent three minutes later and Habsheim was in sight at 450 feet agl. The Pilot Monitoring informed the Pilot Flying that the aircraft was reaching 100 feet at 14:45:14. The descent continued to 50 feet 8 seconds later and further to 30-35 feet. Go-around power was added at 14:45:35. The A320 continued and touched trees approximately 60 meters from the end of runway 34R at 14:45:40 with a 14 degree pitch attitude and engines at 83% N1. The plane sank slowly into the forest and a fire broke out.

PROBABLE CAUSES: "The Commission believes that the accident resulted from the combination of the following conditions: 1) very low flyover height, lower than surrounding obstacles; 2) speed very slow and reducing to reach maximum possible angle of attack; 3) engine speed at flight idle; 4) late application of go-around power. This combination led to impact of the aircraft with the trees. The Commission believes that if the descent below 100 feet was not deliberate, it may have resulted from failure to take proper account of the visual and aural information intended to give the height of the aircraft."

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: BEA
Report number: Report f-kc880626
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report


Final report concerning the accident which occured on June 26th 1988 at Mulhouse-Habsheim (68) to the Airbus A320, registered F-GFKC / Ministry of Planning, Housing, Transport and Maritime Affairs
ICAO Adrep Summary 3/88 (#2)



photo (c) BEA; Mulhouse-Habsheim Airport (LFGB)

photo (c) Phil Brooks; Mulhouse-Habsheim Airport (LFGB); 08 June 2018

Revision history:


The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314