Accident Tupolev Tu-134A CCCP-65795, Friday 12 December 1986
ASN logo

Date:Friday 12 December 1986
Type:Silhouette image of generic T134 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Tupolev Tu-134A
Owner/operator:Aeroflot / Belarus
Registration: CCCP-65795
MSN: 63145
Year of manufacture:1980
Total airframe hrs:12658 hours
Cycles:8482 flights
Fatalities:Fatalities: 72 / Occupants: 82
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Destroyed, written off
Location:3 km NE of Berlin-Schönefeld Airport (SXF) -   Germany
Phase: Approach
Nature:Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:Praha-Ruzyne International Airport (PRG/LKPR)
Destination airport:Berlin-Schönefeld Airport (SXF/EDDB)
Aeroflot flight SU892, a Tupolev 134A, was a scheduled service from Minsk-1 International Airport, Soviet Union (now Belarus), to Berlin-Schönefeld Airport, East Germany (now Germany). On board were 73 passengers and a crew of nine.
Poor visibility at Berlin forced the flight to divert to the alternate: Prague Airport, Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic).
When weather had improved, the flight took off from Prague.
While descending towards Schönefeld Airport, the flight was cleared for an ILS approach to runway 25L. The aircraft captured the glide slope at 13.5 km from the runway. The Runway Visual Range (RVR) was reported to be 900 meters visibility, and 1700 m at point A and 1000 m at point B of the runway. As the aircraft was descending for runway 25L, the air traffic controller radioed to all aircraft on frequency that runway 25R was closed. The radio operator of flight 892 wrongly understood this message as a clearance to land on runway 25R. He replied "Got it, thank you, 25 right". This error was not noted by other crew members of flight 892 because of their lack of proficiency in English.
The flight crew disconnected the autopilot and began a manoeuvre to align with runway 25R. The distance between both runways was 460 m. The controller noted this manoeuvre and radioed that flight 892 was cleared for 25L.
The airplane then banked to the left again to align with 25L, at the same time the aircraft descended to an altitude of 60 m below the glide slope. Engine power was not changed during the manoeuvre and the aircraft descended at a speed of 263 km/h and an increasing the rate of descent to 7 m/s. The aircraft struck treetops 3 km from the runway and crashed in a forest.
Initially 70 occupants died; about 2 weeks later another two passengers died from their injuries.




photo (c) Mittelstädt, Rainer; Berlin-Bohnsdorf; December 1986; (CC:by-sa)

Revision history:


The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314