Accident Westland Wyvern S 4 WP342, Friday 11 January 1957
ASN logo
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Friday 11 January 1957
Type:Westland Wyvern S 4
Owner/operator:700 Sqn FAA RN
Registration: WP342
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:RNAS Ford, Yapton, Arundel, West Sussex, England -   United Kingdom
Phase: Landing
Departure airport:RNAS Ford, (HMS Peregrine) Yapton, West Sussex
Destination airport:RNAS Ford, (HMS Peregrine) Yapton, West Sussex
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
Westland Wyvern S 4 WP342 '518/FD' of 700 NAS, Fleet Air Arm, Royal Navy, crashed 11/1/1957: Port wing dropped on landing and dug into the ground causing the aircraft to overturn on landing at RNAS Ford, West Sussex. The pilot - Sub Lieutenant John Graham Denton-Thompson - was killed. The Coroner's inquest was reported in the "Bognor Regis Observer" on Friday 18 January 1957:

"Bognor Regis Observer - Friday 18 January 1957
As a Royal Naval Air Service Wyvern aircraft came in to land at Ford Royal Naval Air Station on Friday morning, observers saw the port wing drop and touch the ground. The aircraft turned over and ploughed along on its back. The pilot, 20-year-old Sub-Lieut. John Graham Denton-Thompson, of Lymington, Hants, was killed. At an inquest at Chichester on Tuesday, the Coroner (Mr. G. F. L Bridgman) recorded a verdict of "Misadventure."

Lt.-Commander John Gregory said he briefed Denton-Thompson for flying duties in the Wyvern on Friday morning. The pilot took off at 9.15 and for about an hour practised "touch and go" landings in which he had to come in as though about to land, and fly off again. His aircraft was coming in to land, and was about 20 feet above the ground when the port wing dropped and the Wyvern started turning to port. The wing dropped further, touched the ground, and the aircraft crashed on its back and slid along for a short distance.

Lt.-Commander Gregory said that this was only Denton-Thompson's third flight in a Wyvern, but he had approximately 400 hours (dual and solo) flying experience in other types of aircraft.

Lt. John Leach, Air Engineer Officer of 764 Squadron , R.N.A.S. Ford, said that he was responsible for the airworthiness of aircraft in his squadron. This included this particular Wyvern. He was satisfied that when Denton-Thompson took it up it was completely airworthy.

Surgeon Lt-Commander Ian Colley, Senior Medical Officer at Ford, said he went to the scene of the crash last Friday morning and found that the pilot was trapped beneath the aircraft. He was found to be dead when released from the wreckage, and it was later found that death was due to a fracture of the skull and multiple injuries."



Revision history:

01-Apr-2013 00:18 Dr. John Smith Added
07-May-2013 14:21 Nepa Updated [Operator]
21-May-2014 15:35 Dr. John Smith Updated [Source, Narrative]
28-Jun-2014 10:00 angels one five Updated [Aircraft type, Operator, Nature, Narrative]
28-Jun-2014 11:54 angels one five Updated [Aircraft type, Operator, Nature, Narrative]
14-Nov-2018 16:24 Nepa Updated [Operator, Operator]
10-Feb-2020 20:49 Dr. John Smith Updated [Time, Total fatalities, Location, Nature, Departure airport, Destination airport, Source, Narrative]
26-Jun-2024 21:36 Nepa Updated [Time, Location, Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314