Accident Grumman A-6A Intruder 152917, Sunday 31 December 1967
ASN logo
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Sunday 31 December 1967
Time:14:31 LT
Type:Silhouette image of generic A6 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Grumman A-6A Intruder
Owner/operator:VA-75, US Navy
Registration: 152917
MSN: I-221
Fatalities:Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:3 miles N of Vinh, Nghe An Province, North Vietnam -   Vietnam
Phase: Combat
Departure airport:USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) off coast of Vietnam
Destination airport:
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
A-6A BuNo 152917/'AG-501' of VA-75 US Navy launched from the USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) crewed by Lt. Commander John D. Peace III (pilot) and Lt Gordon S. Perisho (Bombadier/Navigator) was lost on combat operations on December 31 1967. Believed lost to SA-2 'Gail' SAM during daylight attack on a storage cave about three miles north of Vinh, Nghe An Province, North Vietname The storage area was heavily defended by light and medium anti-aircraft fire as well as automatic weapons.

It was also covered by one known surface-to-air missile (SAM) site. Weather en route the target and retirement areas was overcast, with visibility of three to five miles. Shortly after launch, the aircraft experienced radio difficulties and requested another aircraft relay his position crossing the coastline inbound on his attack. This was accomplished and 'AG-501' proceeded on his mission.

At approximately 14:30 hours, the aircraft gave an "execute" transmission which activated electronic counter measures (ECM) support in the target area. This was the last transmission received from him. The aircraft was tracked by radar just north of Vinh and then disappeared from the radar scope at approximately 14:31 local time.

Rescue aircraft were vectored immediately to within eleven miles of the last know position of Peace's and Perisho's aircraft, however, no distress or emergency radio beeper signals were received. The rapidly deteriorating weather precluded rescue aircraft from proceeding further inland. Electronic surveillance was later initiated, at no time was any emergency transmission heard by any of the search and rescue aircraft.

Both Peace and Perisho were declared Missing in Action. On 9 October 1975 they were declared officially dead (KIA). No remains of either crew member have been found or repatriated.



Revision history:

16-Mar-2016 21:36 Dr.John Smith Added
16-Mar-2016 21:49 Dr.John Smith Updated [Location, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314