Accident Aerospool WT-9 Dynamic ZU-DJO, Saturday 24 July 2004
ASN logo
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Saturday 24 July 2004
Type:Silhouette image of generic WT9 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Aerospool WT-9 Dynamic
Registration: ZU-DJO
MSN: DY 050/2004)
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Substantial
Location:Virginia Airfield next to Comair hanger, KZN -   South Africa
Phase: Standing
Departure airport:FAVG (Virginia)
Destination airport:FAVG (Virginia)
Investigating agency: CAA S.A.
Confidence Rating: Accident investigation report completed and information captured
The pilot, who is also the owner, reported that this was a newly imported aircraft into the country and was the first time that the engine was started. The pilot stated that he went through the pre-flight inspection prior to starting the aircraft. Since the intension was to start the engine the pilot did not wear his safety belt. Upon completion of the checklist the starter was engaged, in an attempt to start the engine. The engine however rotated for ten seconds, but did not start. The pilot reported that he waited for 30 seconds before attempting another start and there was still no positive response. He then approached one of the engineers who operate the same type of engine. The engineer advised the pilot not to use 1 cm of open throttle but have both the throttle and the choke all the way fully open. The engine started and began to rev around 2000 rpm and no lower. The engine was stopped by turning everything off. He then waited for 2 minutes before attempting another start. After the engine started again the RPM was very high and the pilot was unable to shut it down. The brakes held the aircraft stationary for about 4 seconds then the aircraft started to accelerate over the taxiway, over the grass and then over the runway. The aircraft ran for 70 meters straight across the runway into the boundary wall/bushes on the eastern side of the aerodrome. The pilot released the canopy and climbed out on the right hand side away from the wall. He reported that he could see flames on the left hand side of the plane. The aircraft was partially destroyed by a post impact fire but the pilot escaped without injuries. Emergency services responded quickly and went to the site for assistance. ATC closed the runway for 8 hours. The aircraft had a total of 1 airframe hour when the accident occurred.

Probable Cause:
The cause of the high engine RPM was due to the pilot leaving both the throttle and the choke fully open thus causing the high engine revolutions. A contributing factor was the pilot's failure to apply brakes and also chock the aircraft wheels.

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: CAA S.A.
Report number: 
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report




Revision history:

05-Jun-2008 13:05 Topaz Added
19-Jun-2014 20:03 harro Updated [Embed code, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314