Accident Airco DH.16 G-EACT, Thursday 18 March 1920
ASN logo
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Thursday 18 March 1920
Type:Airco DH.16
Owner/operator:Aircraft Transport & Travel Ltd.
Registration: G-EACT
MSN: DH.16/1
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:English Channel off Beachy Head, near Eastbourne, East Sussex, England -   United Kingdom
Phase: En route
Departure airport:Le Bourget, Paris (LBG/PFPB)
Destination airport:Hounslow Heath, Middlesex
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
First registered as K-130 (in the early pre-"G-E.." series of registrations). Re-registered as G-EACT 29.05.19 (C of R No.72). According to the BAe Website: "The first [DH.16] aircraft flew at Hendon as K130 in March 1919, although it was later re-registered (G-EACT) for use during pleasure flights. It was in this guise that it then flew the inaugural London to Paris passenger service on 25th August 1919".

Written off 18.03.20 crashed into the English Channel off Beachy Head; the pilot was rescued by a ship. According to a contemporary report in Flight magazine 25 March 1920:

"Aerial Postman in the Channel
WHILE flying from Paris to London on March 18, in foggy weather, Lieut. Harold Game, A.F.C, had trouble with his compass. He decided to come down off Beachy Head, and sighting the ss. "Selarus," circled round it to attract attention. His machine was equipped with flotation bags, and they kept it afloat till he was rescued by a small boat sent out by the "Selarus." Lieut. Game has crossed the Channel 130 times and this was his first mishap."

A further report appeared in a contemporary newspaper ("Aberdeen Press and Journal" - Monday 22 March 1920)

After a thrilling experience in the English Channel, having been an hour in the water before being picked up, Lieut. Harold Game, of Ashford, Middlesex, arrived safely at Swansea on Saturday morning aboard the steamer Selarus.

He was flying from Paris to Hounslow Aerodrome on Thursday, when his compass stuck. Being a thick fog, and not knowing where would eventually get to, he decided to descend off Beachy Head. He noticed a steamer below and circled about it five times to attract the crews attention.

Fortunately, Lieut. Game's machine was equipped with flotation bags and these kept it afloat until he was rescued by a small boat, which was sent out by the Selarus.

Lieut. Game, who left for his home shortly afterwards, is the winner of the Air Force Cross. He has crossed The Channel 130 times, and this is his first mishap".

Registration G-EACT cancelled later in March 1920 due to "destruction of permanent withdrawl from use of aircraft"


1. Flight magazine of 25 March 1920:
2. Aberdeen Press and Journal - Monday 22 March 1920

Revision history:

11-Jun-2008 20:37 JINX Added
11-Jun-2008 20:38 JINX Updated
16-Dec-2013 22:48 Dr. John Smith Updated [Total fatalities, Total occupants, Other fatalities, Location, Phase, Nature, Departure airport, Destination airport, Source, Narrative]
28-Feb-2020 22:36 Dr. John Smith Updated [Time, Source, Embed code, Narrative]
28-Feb-2020 22:40 Dr. John Smith Updated [Destination airport, Source, Embed code]
18-Jul-2023 17:18 Nepa Updated

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314