Accident Maurice Farman S.11 Shorthorn A7073, Friday 27 April 1917
ASN logo
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Friday 27 April 1917
Type:Maurice Farman S.11 Shorthorn
Owner/operator:24 (Reserve) Sqn RFC
Registration: A7073
Fatalities:Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:RFC Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Approach
Departure airport:RFC Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
Destination airport:RFC Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
27.4.17: Maurice Farman S.11 Shorthorn A7073, 24 (Reserve) Squadron, RFC Netheravon. Written off (destroyed) when stalled and nose dived on approach, RFC Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire. Both crew - Sgt-Major Harold Cecil Smith (Service Number 1448, aged 22) and Sgt Joseph Chetwood (Service Number 3299, aged 24) - were killed. According to the aircraft accident record card for Maurice Farman S.11 Shorthorn A7073

"Court of Inquiry 87/7954
Flying accident. Probably stalled and side slipped. It was the opinion of the Court of Inquiry that the accident was caused by an error of judgment on the part of the pilot, in that the machine stalled whilst spiralling down."

According to the following excerpt from the Inquest into the deaths of the two crew (see link #7)

"Smith, Harold C and Chetwood, Joseph
1917 May 4th

Aviator’s Deaths

Mr F H Trethowan, the Coroner for South Wilts, inquired at the Military Hospital, Netheravon, on Saturday, touching the deaths of Sergt-Major Smith, of London, and Sergt Chetwood (whose home was in Shropshire), by a mishap to a flying machine on the previous day.

Second-Lieutenant W L Wells said he heard of the accident, and on flying to the scene found both men, apparently dead. With a chum he had flown for seventy minutes in the same machine on the previous evening, and it was then in perfect order.

Lieutenant Sparks, who also flew to the spot, which was near Figheldean, corroborated.

Lieutenant K B Wild told how, when he was flying, he saw the machine fall down from a height of about 800 feet.

Evidence was given showing that the engine and other parts of the machine were in good order before the flight was started.

Captain P L Moore, RAMC, deposed that death was due in both cases to fracture of the skull, and the jury returned a verdict accordingly, stating that injuries were due to falls from an aeroplane."



Revision history:

31-Jan-2019 19:20 Dr. John Smith Added
02-Feb-2019 12:09 stehlik49 Updated [Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314