Accident Maurice Farman S.11 Shorthorn A7081, Wednesday 30 May 1917
ASN logo
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Wednesday 30 May 1917
Time:08:00 LT
Type:Maurice Farman S.11 Shorthorn
Owner/operator:24 (Reserve) Sqn RFC
Registration: A7081
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:RFC Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Approach
Departure airport:RFC Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
Destination airport:RFC Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
30.5.17: Maurice Farman S.11 Shorthorn A7081, 24 (Reserve) Squadron, RFC Netheravon. Written off (destroyed) when stalled and side slipped, RFC Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire. Pilot - 2nd Lt Herbert Henry Ezard (aged 25) - was killed. According to the aircraft accident record card for Maurice Farman S.11 Shorthorn A7081 (see link #3):

"Court of Inquiry 87/accdt/147
Flying accident. Stalled and side slip from 150 feet. No mechanical defects were found with the machine. It was the opinion of the Court of Inquiry that, in correcting a bump, the pilot pulled the machine up too much, causing it to stall. Pilot had done 2 hours 25 minutes solo flying."

According to the transcript of the Coroner's Inquest into the death of the pilot (see link #4):

"Ezard, Herbert
June 1st 1917

Young Officer Killed – Flying Accident at Netheravon

Second-Lieutenant Herbert Henry Ezard, a young officer attached to the Royal Flying Corps, stationed at Netheravon, was killed on Wednesday morning as the result of an accident while flying.

A inquest was held yesterday (Thursday) afternoon by the Coroner for South Wilts (Mr F H Trethowan) at the Military Hospital.

Captain John Blackwood, RFC, stationed at Netheravon, said that Second-Lieut Ezard was 25 years of age and his home was in Cambridge. On Wednesday morning at 6 o’clock witness flew the machine which Mr Ezard subsequently used, and found everything in order. He afterwards instructed him to make circuits and landings. Mr Ezard had done about 2 hours and 25 minutes in solo flights, including his last. On Wednesday he flew for about 40 minutes, making three landings, and then for 30 minutes with three landings. He went up again and began to turn. In making the turn he lost speed and suddenly fell from about 150 feet. Witness went to the spot and found that he was dead, and the machine smashed.

Arthur Stanley Kemp, 1st Air Mechanic, said that Mr Ezard started his flight between 7 and 8 o’clock on Wednesday morning. He had previously tested the engine and found it in order.

Harry L Winzer, 1st Air Mechanic, gave evidence as to the test of the rigging of the aeroplane and finding everything all right.

Captain H L Moore, RAMC, said he saw the young officer’s body a few minutes after the accident. Death was due to a fracture of the skull and other severe injuries. It must have been instantaneous.

The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death" in accordance with the facts. This was the first local inquest at which the number of jurymen was reduced to seven, as made possible by the new Act."



Revision history:

06-Feb-2019 20:09 Dr. John Smith Added
07-Feb-2019 05:20 stehlik49 Updated [Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314