Bird strike Incident Saab 340B , Tuesday 22 May 2018
ASN logo
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Tuesday 22 May 2018
Type:Silhouette image of generic SF34 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Saab 340B
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 33
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Minor
Location:Wagga Wagga, NSW -   Australia
Phase: Take off
Nature:Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:Wagga Wagga-Forrest Hill Airport, NSW (WGA/YSWG)
Destination airport:
Confidence Rating: Information verified through data from accident investigation authorities
On the afternoon of 22 May 2018, a SAAB 340B departed from Wagga Wagga, New South Wales (NSW) with 3 crewmembers and 30 passengers on board.

At about 1651 Eastern Standard Time, as the takeoff roll commenced on runway 23, the crew observed four galahs rise up from the grass to the left and cross in front of the aircraft. As the aircraft’s speed reached V1, the crew heard the distinct impact of the four galahs coming from the right side of the aircraft. The pilot flying (PF) proceeded to rotate at VR. The crew detected surges, power loss and vibrations from the no. 2 engine and the PF called “Positive rate, gear up, max power” initiating the engine failure at or above V1 procedure.

The crew continued to follow the company departure procedure by flying out to the south-west of the aerodrome on the runway heading. During initial climb, the crew observed the no. 2 engine had reduced torque and subsequently the pilot monitoring (PM) shut down the engine using the engine failure “Memory Items.” Passing 2000 feet on climb, the crew proceeded to turn the aircraft left to conduct a return to Wagga Wagga via the instrument landing system (ILS)-Z runway 23 approach. The PM made radio calls on the common traffic advisory frequency (CTAF) to advise everyone within the aerodrome vicinity of the crew’s intentions and declared a PAN PAN on the Melbourne Centre frequency. The aerodrome rescue and firefighting reponse team acknowledged the radio calls offering their assistance if required.

At a safe altitude, the flight crew advised the cabin crew of the birdstrike and briefed them on the intended plan of action. The cabin crew member moved a paxing crew member towards the front of the aircraft to provide assistance if required. The flight crew advised the passengers of the situation and the cabin crew subsequently recited from the precautionary landing card and continued to secure the cabin with the paxing crew.

After the aircraft landed safely, the crew stopped the aircraft on the runway. The PM briefed the passengers and the cabin crew, and made radio calls on the CTAF and Melbourne Centre to advise of their intended actions. The crew then taxied the aircraft back to the bay where the passengers disembarked. During the post-flight inspection, the flight crew and engineers found bird remains in the engine intake and an air scoop on the inboard side of the no. 2 engine.

The engineering inspection revealed a stage one rotor blade bent beyond limits in the no. 2 engine and the engine was subsequently replaced.


Revision history:

08-Apr-2019 13:41 Pineapple Added

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314