Accident De Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth T6594, Friday 12 June 1942
ASN logo
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Friday 12 June 1942
Type:Silhouette image of generic DH82 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
De Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth
Owner/operator:Takoradi SF RAF
Registration: T6594
MSN: 84923
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:Pompendi Village, Dixcove, Ahanta West district, Gold Coast -   Ghana
Phase: En route
Departure airport:RAF Takoradi, Gold Coast, Ghana (TDK/DGTK)
Destination airport:Dixcove, Ahanta West district, Ghana
De Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth MSN 84923; Taken on charge as T6594 at RAF Halton Training Flight, RAF Halton, Buckinghamshire 25.8.41. To 47 MU RAF Sealand, Flintshire 3.10.41 for fitting with anti-malaria spraying apparatus. Shipped to West Africa 25.3.42 [shown on record card as 'West Indies' in error]. Possibly to 777 Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, Royal Navy, at Hastings, Sierra Leone (noted as "Transferred to Admiralty" on 25.3.42). To RAF Takoradi, Gold Coast, Ghana [by 6.42].

Written off (damaged beyond repair) when stalled and crashed in Pompendi Village, Dixcove, Ahanta West district, Gold Coast, West Africa 12.6.42. Both crew - Sergeant Melsom Henry Walter Gee (RCAF, Pilot) and Leading Aircraftman R G Langley - survived but injured. According to the relevant excerpt from the biography of the pilot:

"He was at Takoradi, Ghana from June 1942 until March 1943. Here he had an incident in a Tiger Moth (T6594). He was with LAC Langley as a passenger. Gee's statement: "I climbed to a thousand feet and flew to Dixcove where at approximately 17.50 hours, I descended to 200 feet and started a stall turn from which I could not time to clear the trees. I saw that we were going to rush in, so I dropped the port wing which struck first, breaking the fall, but severely damaged the aircraft. I climbed out uninjured except for a few scratches and found that LAC Langley was also uninjured but for a few scratches and a cut over the left eye. The aircraft crashed about 8 miles west of base near a lake and a few hundred yards from shore. Both mainplanes were wrecked as well as the fuselage. I left everything as it was and returned to the aerodrome."

Conclusion: Stalled turn at too low an altitude. The pilot has no excuse whatsoever for his breach of flying discipline and bad flying. Disciplinary action is proceeding". (See link #6 for the full biography of the pilot)


1. Royal Air Force Aircraft T1000-V9999 (James J Halley, Air Britain, 1997 p.53
2. National Archives (PRO Kew) File AIR81/15024:

Revision history:

20-Mar-2022 19:33 Dr. John Smith Added
20-Mar-2022 19:35 Dr. John Smith Updated [Category]
20-Mar-2022 19:37 Dr. John Smith Updated [Location, Narrative]
03-Apr-2022 10:45 Nepa Updated [Time, Operator, Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314