Accident Aviat A-1A N113N, Thursday 7 August 2003
ASN logo
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Thursday 7 August 2003
Time:12:00 LT
Type:Silhouette image of generic HUSK model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Aviat A-1A
Registration: N113N
MSN: 1422
Total airframe hrs:493 hours
Engine model:Textron Lycoming O-360-A1P
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Substantial
Location:Sitka, Alaska -   United States of America
Phase: Unknown
Departure airport:Sitka, AK
Destination airport:Sitka, AK (A29)
Investigating agency: NTSB
Confidence Rating: Accident investigation report completed and information captured
In a telephone interview 4 days after the accident, the commercial certificated pilot reported that he was attempting to takeoff from a small, remote lake in his float-equipped airplane. During the takeoff run in calm wind conditions, he determined that the airplane would not become airborne prior to reaching the shoreline. He elected to abort the takeoff, but could not stop the airplane prior to colliding with the shoreline. In a written statement dated 7 days after the accident, the pilot wrote, "I performed a step turn and didn't like the way it felt so I cut the power and skidded up on a rocky beach." The airplane received structural damage to the lower right fuselage longeron adjacent to the right rear float attachment fitting, and the left outboard wing rib. Three months after the accident, the pilot telephoned the NTSB investigator-in-charge and indicated that he had placed the airplane in a tight step-turn during the takeoff attempt, and it was during the step-turn that he heard a loud "pop" and felt the airplane shudder. He said he immediately reduced the engine power to idle, and due to the airplane being in a tight turn at the time, he lost directional control and the airplane collided with the shore. The pilot said it was possible that the right rear float attachment fitting, or possibly the "flying wire" cable from the right float to the fuselage had separated preimpact, and that was the noise he heard.

Probable Cause: The pilot's delay in aborting the takeoff, which resulted in a collision with the shoreline during an aborted takeoff.

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: NTSB
Report number: ANC03LA104
Status: Investigation completed
Duration: 6 months
Download report: Final report



Revision history:

13-Oct-2022 08:09 ASN Update Bot Added

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314